For those looking for an alternative to surgical facelift methods, an excellent option has appeared - photothermolysis, which can eliminate obvious blemishes and age-related skin changes. What is the essence of the procedure, indications, contraindications, what should be taken into account during the recovery period and other interesting facts that you will find in our article.
What is the principle of the technique
The fractional laser rejuvenation procedure of the skin of the face and other areas of the body was developed in 2004 and involves the creation of separate areas on the skin, treated with a high temperature laser beam, bordering the intact areas. . Due to these unaffected areas, the surface of the epidermis quickly begins to recover.
Fractional thermolysis devices have been improved, making it possible to modify the energy of the laser beam and the characteristics of the microthermal areas (treated areas of the skin). For this reason, the procedure allows you to perform various tasks in the field of cosmetology.
The action of fractional photothermolysis is the use of microscopic beams of laser radiation, which are precisely directed to the problem areas of the epidermis.
Such irradiation increases the temperature of individual areas of the skin surface and the dermis itself, which in turn causes heating of the intercellular fluid and destruction of cells. These processes activate all the mechanisms of restoration and regeneration that promote the synthesis of hyaluronic acid, collagen fibers and the subsequent appearance of new epithelial cells with an increase in the density of the epidermis and smoothing of wrinkles.
The surface layer of the skin is restored in 2 days and the destroyed cells are completely exfoliated in 2 weeks.
Thanks to the point laser effect on the skin, a supply of healthy and intact cells is preserved, which serves as the main source for the appearance of new epithelial structures.
The great advantage of this procedure is the elimination of pigmentation formation in people with dark skin due to the fact that melanocytes are not destroyed, but redistributed, making the complexion even and even.
The main advantages of the technique
Dermatologists identify a number of benefits of fractional photothermolysis, including:
- the minimum number of side effects and safe handling;
- the absence of punctures of the skin surface and the impossibility of contracting dangerous infections (HIV, hepatitis and others) during the session;
- comfortable conditions for the patient and ease of performance of the procedure for the beautician;
- the ability to select an individual program for leather processing for each individual customer;
- lack of painful sensations;
- the possibility of a targeted effect on areas of the epidermis with pronounced defects;
- no contraindications for people with any type of pigmentation;
- high efficiency of the procedure without age restrictions;
- short period of rehabilitation.
Who is the procedure recommended for?
The technique of fractional thermolysis is shown to anyone who has such problems / defects of the skin surface:
- age-related changes in the epidermis;
- the presence of deep wrinkles and folds;
- pigment spots of different sizes and nature of formation;
- mimic wrinkles, including on the eyelids;
- excessively enlarged pores;
- the consequences of acne and acne;
- scars, scars, uneven relief.
When the technique is not performed
Not everyone can perform such a manipulation, because there is the following list of contraindications:
- During pregnancy and lactation;
- the presence of oncological processes in the body;
- long-term use of antibiotics, glucocorticoids, cytostatics, immunosuppressants;
- taking drugs from the group of retinoids (precursors of vitamin A);
- the presence of rough keloid scars on the skin (for example, after severe burns, operations), indicating a low capacity for regeneration;
- periods of exacerbation of psoriasis;
- acute infectious, fungal and viral lesions, especially those in the acute stage.
The conditions listed above are associated with slow recovery of the skin, and may also be accompanied by scar formation, there is a risk of infection, accompanied by serious complications.
The order of execution of the manipulation
This procedure should be performed by a cosmetologist with an appropriate diploma and authorization.
2 weeks before the day of the scheduled session, it is necessary to stop using agents that damage the surface epithelium (peels, scrubs).
Temporarily, you cannot use drugs containing retinol, salicylic and glycolic acids. The session takes place as follows:
- First, the beautician cleans the skin surface of the patient's face with a cotton ball, followed by the application of an anesthetic cream containing anesthetics.
- Then, a layer of ointment is applied to the epidermis, facilitating the sliding of the attachment of the device.
- In addition, the process of fractional photothermolysis begins, which involves exposing the skin to a laser beam generated by the nozzle of the device. The treatment takes place along the target grid and is accompanied by a slight tingling sensation in the epidermis. The duration of the procedure depends on the area of the treated area and is about half an hour.
If the manipulation is performed on the Fraxel device, it can be performed in 4 modes, differentiated by different depths of penetration of the laser beam under the skin surface:
- Thin - with a soft surface effect, ideal for restoring the skin of the eyelids and other areas with sensitive and thin skin.
- Repair - affecting the dermal structure, triggering regeneration of the entire inner layer of the skin. It helps get rid of large pores, spider veins, deep wrinkles, scars.
- Restore is the most popular treatment for superficial wrinkles, small acne scars, and emerging age-related changes.
- Restore Dual is a dual action mode through the simultaneous use of thulium and erbium lasers for safe use in all faults.
The maximum result is obtained with the passage from 3 to 8 sessions with a frequency of one month. The number of necessary procedures is determined by the doctor for each patient, depending on the degree of damage / changes to their skin surface and the treated area.
Features of the recovery period
The beautician who performed the manipulation is obliged to tell the patient in detail the rules of skin care after laser treatment.
During the recovery period, it is necessary to observe the following precautions:
- it is forbidden to sleep on the stomach for 5 days after the operation, that is to say on the stomach. During the same period, a panthenol moisturizer should be applied to the treated skin three times a day.
- Avoid direct sunlight for 2 months after the procedure and be sure to apply a high SPF sunscreen to your skin.
- Stop smoking, as this slows down the process of tissue repair and regeneration.